Me sitting in my cozy corner reading the last of the Millennium series – The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest. N comes closer to me and asks a very rhetorical question “Mama are you reading book?” Me in my don’t-bother-me-I-am-reading-a-book voice “Umm Hmm”. N speaks again “Mama why you read sho many books? You like em?”
Why do I read books? I asked myself. Because, came the answers –
– they take me to an alternate world far away from the real one, whenever I want. I love to dive in to a different world, be it the magic world of Harry Potter or a fictional town and city in a drama.
– they help me expand my horizon when I read stories set in different places and cultures. They make me more aware and knowledgeable.
– they help me unwind and de-stress, give me something to look forward to after a long and tiring day. Ah! the pleasure of sinking down onto some plush cushions with your current read and a hot cup of coffee is unmatched!
– they make me laugh, they make me cry, they inspire me and make me stronger. So many times books have helped me understand things and people better, they have motivated me and guided me.
– they help me survive boring conversations and irritating people! Yes books have been my saviour in a lot of these situations.
– and finally I love the thrill of buying or receiving a new book in mail. The joy of opening it and breathing in the pages. The flipping through the book and reading the synopsis on the back cover. The happiness in adding one more book to my home library! It is a great feeling – one of those little treasures in life that I will always cherish!
Those were my reasons. I would love to know why you read books. So let me (for the first time ever) start a tag.
The tag is simple.
- You have to answer the question – “Why do you read books (if you do)?”.
- It could be a one line answer or a 10 liner or a Godzilla sized post.
- It should just be a from-the-heart answer for why you read.
- You can tag on as many or as few bloggers as you want to. Try to pass it on though. It would be interesting to know why so many people read!
Other bloggers – Please feel free to take this tag up on your blogs!
Non-bloggers – I would love to hear your thoughts too. Please leave comments!