The problem is nobody told me that!!
No one told me that parenting is a very challenging job. Yes! much more than those deadlines to meet, pressure of client satisfaction and launching the next release into production [For all the non-IT industry folks, this is IT lingo].
Parenting is a job –
- that is demanding [very demanding].
- that has high maintenance clients who leave no time for your own maintenance.
- that keeps you accountable 24×7. Even if you take a break, you might be called back to duty.
- with work that stinks! Literally!
- that offers mashed potato, boiled peas and carrots for lunch.
- that doesn’t allow any sleeping on the job. Well which job does that anyway? The problem is that this one doesn’t let you sleep at night too.
- that needs you to be a very good story-teller! And to be able to tell the same stories again and again and again and …
- with constantly changing goals – bottle to sippy cup, diaper to pot, mashed food to solids. And they change more frequently than your half-yearly appraisals.
- that offers you a lot of freebies like hugs, kisses and sleepovers but you can’t encash them for materialistic stuff like clothes, accessories or make up!
I sometimes wish someone had told me all that!